Analyze a Map
Meet the map.
- What is the title?
- Is there a scale and compass?
- What is in the legend?
- Type (check all that apply):
Political Topographic/Physical Aerial/Satellite Relief (Shaded or Raised) Exploration Survey Natural Resource Planning Land Use Transportation Military Population/Settlement Census Other
Observe its parts.
- What place or places are shown?
- What is labeled?
- If there are symbols or colors, what do they stand for?
- Who made it?
- When is it from?
Try to make sense of it.
- What was happening at the time in history this map was made?
- Why was it created? List evidence from the map or your knowledge about the mapmaker that led you to your conclusion.
- Write one sentence summarizing this map.
- How does it compare to a current map of the same place?
Use it as historical evidence.
- What did you find out from this map that you might not learn anywhere else?
- What other documents or historical evidence are you going to use to help you understand this event or topic?