Analyze an Artwork
Meet the artwork.
- Quickly scan the artwork. What do you notice first?
- Type (check all that apply):
Painting Drawing/Sketch Engraving/Lithograph Mural Sculpture Mixed Media Scene/Event Portrait Landscape Abstract Other
- What is the title?
Observe its parts.
- List the people, objects and activities you see.
- Write one sentence summarizing this artwork.
Try to make sense of it.
- What do the colors, people, objects or activities represent?
- Who made this?
- When was it created?
- Does it depict a different time? When?
- What was happening at the time in history it was created?
- What is the message? List evidence from the artwork or your knowledge about the artist that led you to your conclusion.
Use it as historical evidence.
- What did you find out from this artwork that you might not learn anywhere else?
- What other documents or historical evidence are you going to use to help you understand this event or topic?