Analyze a Written Document
Meet the document.
- Type (check all that apply):
Letter Speech Patent Telegram Court document Chart Newspaper Advertisement Press Release Memorandum Report Identification document Presidential document Congressional document Other
- Describe it as if you were explaining to someone who can’t see it. Think about:
- Is it handwritten or typed?
- Is it all by the same person?
- Are there stamps or other marks?
- What else do you see on it?
Observe its parts.
- Who wrote it?
- Who read/received it?
- When is it from?
- Where is it from?
Try to make sense of it.
- What is it talking about?
- Write one sentence summarizing this document.
- Why did the author write it? Quote evidence from the document that tells you this.
- What was happening at the time in history this document was created?
Use it as historical evidence.
- What did you find out from this document that you might not learn anywhere else?
- What other documents or historical evidence are you going to use to help you understand this event or topic?