Analyze an Artifact
Meet the artifact.
- Material (check all that apply):
Bone Pottery Metal Wood Stone Leather Glass Paper Cardboard Fabric Plastic Other
Observe its parts.
Describe it as if you were explaining it to someone who can’t see it.
- Think about: shape, color, texture, size, weight, age, condition, movable parts, or anything written on it.
Try to make sense of it.
Answer as best you can.
- Where is it from?
- When is it from?
- Who used it? List reasons you think so.
- What was it used for? List reasons you think so.
- What does this tell you about the people who made and used it?
- What does it tell you about technology at the time it was made?
- What is a similar item from today?
Use it as historical evidence.
- What did you find out from this artifact that you might not learn anywhere else?
- What other documents or historical evidence are you going to use to help you understand the event or time in which this artifact was used?