Guide to House Records: Chapter 17
Chapter 17. Records of the Public Works Committees
Records of the Committees Relating
to Public Works (1815-1988) from Guide to Federal Records in the National
Archives of the United States, 1789-1988
Committee records described in this chapter.
- Committee on Roads and Canals (1831-69)
- Committee on Railways and Canals (1869-1927)
- Committee on the Mississippi Levees (1875-77)
- Committee on Levees and Improvements of the Mississippi River (1877-1911)
- Committee on Rivers and Harbors (1883-1946)
- Committee on Flood Control (1916-46)
- Committee on Public Buildings and Grounds (1837-1946)
- Committee on Roads (1913-46)
- Committee on Public Works (1947-68)
17.1 The Legislative Reorganization Act of 1946 established the Public Works Committee by combining the jurisdiction of four standing committees-- Public Buildings and Grounds, Rivers and Harbors, Roads, and Flood Control. The Committee underwent two further name changes since its creation: Public Works and Transportation in 1974 and Transportation and Infrastructure in 1995. This chapter describes the records of these committees, as well as those of four related committees established in the 19th century, but terminated prior to World War II: Roads and Canals (1831-1869), Railways and Canals (1869-1927), Mississippi Levees (1875-77), and Levees and Improvements of the Mississippi River (1877-1911).
Bibliographic note: Web version based on Guide to the Records of the United States House of Representatives at the National Archives, 1789-1989: Bicentennial Edition (Doct. No. 100-245). By Charles E. Schamel, Mary Rephlo, Rodney Ross, David Kepley, Robert W. Coren, and James Gregory Bradsher. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration, 1989.