Department of the Navy Records
Please note: Although some of these records have been digitized and made available online, there are many records that are only available in paper or microfilm format at NARA locations.
At the National Archives, researchers can find information on the United States Navy ranging from the wooden hulled ships of the Continental Navy used in the Revolutionary War, to the deployment of massive Carrier Battle Groups and Navy Task Forces. In facilities across the country, the National Archives preserves and makes available the permanent records of the offices of the Department of the Navy (DON). As you plan your research, consider these questions: when, where and what commands held jurisdiction within the U.S. Navy?
What are you researching?
What are people asking on History Hub about Navy Records?
- Finding Ships logbooks for USCGC Storis from 1986 through 1989. I am looking for the date they crossed the international date line or equator.
- Looking for photos of my company in Navy bootcamp.
- Seeking information regarding my father Marine Corp records. Albert Daniel Sulpizio.
- Unknown Navy ribbon and badge
- How do I obtain the deck logs for the USS Biddle DLG-34