Department of the Navy Records
Please note: Although some of these records have been digitized and made available online, there are many records that are only available in paper or microfilm format at NARA locations.
At the National Archives, researchers can find information on the United States Navy ranging from the wooden hulled ships of the Continental Navy used in the Revolutionary War, to the deployment of massive Carrier Battle Groups and Navy Task Forces. In facilities across the country, the National Archives preserves and makes available the permanent records of the offices of the Department of the Navy (DON). As you plan your research, consider these questions: when, where and what commands held jurisdiction within the U.S. Navy?
What are you researching?
What are people asking on History Hub about Navy Records?
- I am looking for what aircraft carrier my grandfather served on in WW 2
- Seeking USS Newell War Diaries and Deck Logs 1943-45
- What is the criteria for a General Court Marshall in 1918 in the US Navy?
- Seeking U.S.S. Yorktown deck logs for 1968
- Seeking years dependent lived at Camp Lejeune