Naval and Marine Records
- Navy/Maritime Records at the National Archives in Washington, DC
- Muster Rolls, 1798-1939
- U.S. Coast Guard Muster Rolls, 1833–1949
- Merchant Vessel Documentation
- Civil War and Later Navy Personnel Records at the National Archives, 1861-1924, an article in Prologue.
- Vessel and Station Log Books at the National Archives
- U.S. Marines in the Boxer Rebellion, an article in Prologue.
- Naval History links, from the Archives Library Information Center
- Treasures from World War II US Navy Command Files
- The Ells-Dran Filing System, Records of the US Marine Corps, Record Group 127
- Navy-Marine Corps Standard Subject Classification System, October 1959 [36.56 MB download]
Navy Filing Manuals
- Secretary of the Navy Instruction 5215.1 of 19 May 1952 was recently located in Record Group 298 (Records of the Officer of Naval Research). This instruction, titled The Navy Directives System, includes a Table of Subject Classification Numbers, which were later given the title Standard Subject Identification Codes (SSIC).
- Navy Filing Manual, 1941 (4th Edition) [28.43 MB download]
- Navy Filing Manual, 1950 (5th Edition) [9.07 MB download]
- Bureau of Ordnance File Numbers [3.97 MB download]