Military Records Research
Research by Branch
Research by War or Conflict
The National Archives holds Federal military service records from the Revolutionary War to 1912 in the National Archives in Washington, D.C. Military service records from WWI - present are held in the National Military Personnel Records Center (NPRC), in St. Louis, Missouri. See details of holdings.
Post-WWI regimental and unit records are primarily held at the National Archives in College Park, Maryland.
Research by Topic
Explore records, information, articles and resources at the National Archives organized by subject area.
What are people asking on History Hub about Military Records?
- Forum Post: I am looking for service record information to validate to the Veterans Administration so as to place a government headstone on the grave of Bristol Bud Sampson a Revolutionary War Veteran and free African American. I have submitted a...
- Forum Post: RE: Benton Barracks Civil War
- Forum Post: RE: Native American soldiers stationed in the UK during WW2
- Forum Post: RE: Naval Advanced Base Russell #60
- Forum Post: RE: Discharge date for deceased husband Peter C. Beamer III