Check Our Status
On October 18, we began to recall more staff to our facilities. The number of recalled staff depends on the transmission level (substantial, moderate, or low) of the county in which the facility is located. As conditions improve in parts of the country, we have been reopening our research rooms and museums. The expansion of operations for each level is detailed in our Reentry and Post-Reentry Plan.
- Where possible, we are hosting public events and outreach activities online and through virtual meetings. All in-person public programs, tours, school group visits, public meetings, external conferences, and facility rentals are cancelled until further notice.
- Follow the National Archives on Facebook (USNationalArchives) and on Twitter (@USNatArchives) for immediate updates.
Research Rooms and Museums
As local public health metrics allow, our research rooms will open on a limited basis and by appointment only.
- Research Room opening details are in this Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Please check the specific facility page for updates and how to make an appointment.
The Archivist sent a message to researchers on November 8, 2021, explaining the reopening process. National Archives staff continue to serve the public remotely by responding to emailed requests for records and History Hub inquiries.
Most of our museums have reopened with limited hours and timed tickets. Reopenings and continued operation rely on local public health metrics.
- National Archives Museum in Washington, DC | Monday–Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Herbert Hoover Library in West Branch, IA | Tuesday–Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Library in Hyde Park, NY | Monday–Sunday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower Library in Abilene, KS | Wednesday–Saturday, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- John F. Kennedy Library in Boston, MA | Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Lyndon B. Johnson Library in Austin, TX | Monday–Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Richard Nixon Library in Yorba Linda, CA | Monday–Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Gerald R. Ford Museum in Grand Rapids, MI | Monday–Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
- Jimmy Carter Library in Atlanta, GA | Tuesday–Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley, CA | Monday–Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- George H.W. Bush Library in College Station, TX | Monday–Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
- William J. Clinton Library in Little Rock, AR | Monday–Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- George W. Bush Library in Dallas, TX | Monday–Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
- Harry S. Truman Library in Independence, MO
Notice to NARA Researchers and FOIA Requesters
You may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference or FOIA request or appeal. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience as we balance mission-critical work and the safety of our staff during the pandemic.
Notice to Veterans
The National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals.
- If you have an urgent need for access to military service records, please use our online request tool or fax your request to 314-801-0764. This is a dedicated line for emergencies only.
- If your request is not urgent, please consider delaying it until we are past this national emergency. We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operation
Click "+" to display more information:
We have sent the following memoranda to National Archives employees to describe plans and procedures for physically closing, and when possible as local conditions permit, reopening our facilities:
- NARA Notice 2022-041: George W. Bush Library Progresses to Substantial Workplace Safety Measures
- NARA Notice 2022-039: George H.W. Bush Library Progresses to Substantial Workplace Safety Measures; Civilian Personnel Records Center Regresses to High
- NARA Notice 2022-033: Eight More Facilities Progress to Substantial Workplace Safety Measures
- NARA Notice 2022-027: Four More Facilities Progress to Substantial Workplace Safety Measures
- NARA Notice 2022-22: Nixon Library Progresses; Four More Museums to Reopen to the Public
- NARA Notice 2022-019: Reentry Plan Implemented; San Bruno Archives and FRC and Reagan Library Progress; Six More Museums to Reopen to the Public
- NARA Notice 2022-005: Phase Two Progression of San Bruno Archives and FRC
- NARA Notice 2022-004: Updated NARA Reentry and Post-Reentry Plan
- NARA Notice 2021-225: Phase One Progression of the Civilian Personnel Records Center
- NARA Notice 2021-219: Closure of Gerald Ford Museum and Rocket Center
- NARA Notice 2021-213: Regression of Gerald Ford Library
- NARA Notice 2021-209: Closure and Regression of Twelve Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-207: Closure and Regression of Eleven Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-203: NARA Reentry Plan Suspended
- NARA Notice 2021-202: Closure and Regression of Eight Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-198: Public Reopening of NARA Research Rooms and Reentry of Select Organizations
- NARA Notice 2021-197: Closure and Regression of Nine Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-196: Updated COVID-19 Model Safety Principles
- NARA Notice 2021-190: Closure and Regression of Six Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-186 Phase Three Reopening of the Civilian Personnel Records Center, Closure of the Eisenhower Presidential Library, and Regression of Three Other Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-180: Two Public Reopenings and Two Facility Regressions
- NARA Notice 2021-176: Staff and Public Reopenings at Seven Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-169: Phase Two Progression of the Roosevelt Library
- NARA Notice 2021-164: Staff and Public Reopenings and Updates for Five Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-161: New COVID-19 Policy Changes
- NARA Notice 2021-157: Staff and Public Reopenings
- NARA Notice 2021-149: Staff and Public Reopenings
- NARA Notice 2021-146: Limited Reopening of the Rotunda and Four Presidential Museums
- NARA Notice 2021-145: Reopening Progression of Four Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-144: New Policy on Face Coverings for Fully Vaccinated Persons
- NARA Notice 2021-141: Phase One Reopening of the New York Archives
- NARA Notice 2021-132: Phase One Reopening of the Carter Library
- NARA Notice 2021-125: Phase Two Reopening of Eight Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-117: Phase Two Reopening of Four Facilities; Closure of Two Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-110: Reopening Progression of 10 NARA Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-106: Reopening Progression of Nine NARA Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-101: Phase One Reopening of Four NARA Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-096: Phase One Reopening of Five NARA Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-092: Phase One Reopening of Four NARA Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-089: Phase One Reopening of the Seattle Archives and Federal Records Center and the Gerald R. Ford Museum
- NARA Notice 2021-078: Update to NARA Policy on Face Coverings and Physical Distancing to Stop the Spread of COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-064: Closure of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library due to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-059: Closure of the Lyndon B. Johnson Library Due to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-054: Closure of the George H.W. Bush Library and San Bruno Archives and FRC
- NARA Notice 2021-047: In-Person Public Programs and Special Events at All Facilities Cancelled Until Further Notice
- NARA Notice 2021-046: Closure of the Jimmy Carter Library and Regression of the George H.W. Bush Library to Phase One
- NARA Notice 2021-039: Closure of Multiple Facilities in Maryland and Southern California
- NARA Notice 2021-037: Closure of NARA Operations at Rocket Center, WV, Due to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-034: Closure of NARA Facilities in Philadelphia and Denver
- NARA Notice 2021-030: Closure of NARA Facilities in Chicago, Seattle, and the Ford Museum
- NARA Notice 2021-027: Closure of Nine Facilities and Phase Two Reopening of the George H.W. Bush Library
- NARA Notice 2021-020: Updated Procedures to Respond to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-017: Phase Two Reopening of Two Additional Facilities; Closure of the Fort Worth Archives and FRC
- NARA Notice 2021-014: Additional Phase Two Reopenings
- NARA Notice 2021-009: Phase Two Reopening of the LBJ Presidential Library
- NARA Notice 2021-006: Phase Two Reopening of the National Archives Building in Washington, DC, and Limited Reopening of the Rotunda
- NARA Notice 2021-005: Phase Two Reopening of Additional Facilities; Closure of the Eisenhower Library
- NARA Notice 2020-191: Phase Two Reopening of Selected Facilities
- NARA Notice 2020-186: Phase I Reopening of the National Archives at Atlanta, the Atlanta Federal Records Center, and George W. Bush Presidential Library
- NARA Notice 2020-177: Phase I Reopening of the Jimmy Carter Library and Riverside Archives and FRC
- NARA Notice 2020-173: Updated Phased Reopening Plan
- NARA Notice 2020-170 COVID-19 Response in California, Texas, and the Hoover Library
- NARA Notice 2020-165: Phase I Reopening of the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library
- NARA Notice 2020-164: Cancellations Extended Through December 31; Additional Policies Under Review
- NARA Notice 2020-163: COVID-19 Response in Valmeyer, IL and Seattle, WA
- NARA Notice 2020-154: Phase I Reopenings of Archives I and Truman Presidential Library
- NARA Notice 2020-146: Suspension of Property Exit Inspection Stations During Phase 1 Reopening
- NARA Notice 2020-138: Additional Phase I Reopenings and Delayed Reopening of California Facilities
- NARA Notice 2020-134: Phase I Reopening of Selected Facilities
- NARA Notice 2020-133: Health Screening Procedures to Respond to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2020-132: NARA Phased Reopening Plan
- NARA Notice 2020-124: New Procedures to Respond to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2020-104: Guidelines for Eventual Reopening
For additional communications to our workforce, including NARA Notices, Fact Sheets, and Social Distancing procedures, see the list in the FOIA area.
COVID-19 Workplace Safety Plan
NARA’s COVID-19 Workplace Safety Plan documents our protocols to protect the safety of our staff and visitors. NARA's Workplace Safety Plan implements Executive Order 13991, Protecting the Federal Workforce and Requiring Mask-Wearing (January 20, 2021), and Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Memorandum M-21-15, COVID-19 Safe Federal Workplace: Agency Model Safety Principles (January 24, 2021).
What the U.S. Government Is Doing
- Coronavirus.gov — for the latest official information from the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Task Force at the White House
- CDC.gov/coronavirus — for official Coronavirus (COVID-19) health information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Get information on how the virus spreads, symptoms, prevention and treatment, stigma and COVID-19, what to do if you are sick, and frequently asked questions.
- GSA offers government-wide information on USA.gov related to COVID-19 activities:
National Archives Social Media