The National Archives and Records Administration is committed to the health and safety of our visitors and staff. We are closely monitoring the situation regarding COVID-19, and we are following CDC guidelines and working with public health officials and our counterpart agencies to monitor and respond to the evolving conditions. Follow the National Archives on Facebook (USNationalArchives) and on Twitter (@USNatArchives) for immediate updates.
National Archives staff continue to serve the public remotely by responding to emailed requests for records and History Hub inquiries. While we are closed, you can still explore our online research resources, exhibits, and educational resources and participate in our Citizen Archivist Missions.
National Archives research rooms, including those at Presidential Libraries, are beginning to open by appointment only. Details are in this press release. Please check the specific facility page for updates.
Many of our museums have reopened with limited hours and timed tickets. Reopenings and continued operation rely on local public health metrics.
- National Archives Museum in Washington, DC | Monday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Herbert Hoover Library in West Branch, IA | Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Library in Hyde Park, NY | Wednesday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- John F. Kennedy Library in Boston, MA | Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 2.p.m.
- Lyndon B. Johnson Library in Austin, TX | Wednesday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Richard Nixon Library in Yorba Linda, CA | Monday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Gerald R. Ford Museum in Grand Rapids, MI | Thursday and Friday, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
- Jimmy Carter Library in Atlanta, GA | Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley, CA | Monday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- George H.W. Bush Library in College Station, TX | Monday through Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
- George W. Bush Library in Dallas, TX | Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
- Harry S. Truman Library in Independence, MO
- Dwight D. Eisenhower Library in Abilene, KS
- William J. Clinton Library in Little Rock, AR
All public events in National Archives facilities nationwide are cancelled until further notice. This includes in-person public programs, tours, school group visits, public meetings, external conferences, and facility rentals. Where possible, we are hosting public events and outreach activities online and through virtual meetings.
We have sent the following memoranda to National Archives employees to describe plans and procedures for physically closing, and when possible as local conditions permit, reopening our facilities:
- NARA Notice 2021-198: Public Reopening of NARA Research Rooms and Reentry of Select Organizations
- NARA Notice 2021-197: Closure and Regression of Nine Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-196: Updated COVID-19 Model Safety Principles
- NARA Notice 2021-190: Closure and Regression of Six Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-186 Phase Three Reopening of the Civilian Personnel Records Center, Closure of the Eisenhower Presidential Library, and Regression of Three Other Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-180: Two Public Reopenings and Two Facility Regressions
- NARA Notice 2021-176: Staff and Public Reopenings at Seven Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-169: Phase Two Progression of the Roosevelt Library
- NARA Notice 2021-164: Staff and Public Reopenings and Updates for Five Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-161: New COVID-19 Policy Changes
- NARA Notice 2021-157: Staff and Public Reopenings
- NARA Notice 2021-149: Staff and Public Reopenings
- NARA Notice 2021-146: Limited Reopening of the Rotunda and Four Presidential Museums
- NARA Notice 2021-145: Reopening Progression of Four Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-144: New Policy on Face Coverings for Fully Vaccinated Persons
- NARA Notice 2021-141: Phase One Reopening of the New York Archives
- NARA Notice 2021-132: Phase One Reopening of the Carter Library
- NARA Notice 2021-125: Phase Two Reopening of Eight Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-117: Phase Two Reopening of Four Facilities; Closure of Two Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-110: Reopening Progression of 10 NARA Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-106: Reopening Progression of Nine NARA Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-101: Phase One Reopening of Four NARA Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-096: Phase One Reopening of Five NARA Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-092: Phase One Reopening of Four NARA Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-089: Phase One Reopening of the Seattle Archives and Federal Records Center and the Gerald R. Ford Museum
- NARA Notice 2021-078: Update to NARA Policy on Face Coverings and Physical Distancing to Stop the Spread of COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-064: Closure of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library due to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-059: Closure of the Lyndon B. Johnson Library Due to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-054: Closure of the George H.W. Bush Library and San Bruno Archives and FRC
- NARA Notice 2021-047: In-Person Public Programs and Special Events at All Facilities Cancelled Until Further Notice
- NARA Notice 2021-046: Closure of the Jimmy Carter Library and Regression of the George H.W. Bush Library to Phase One
- NARA Notice 2021-039: Closure of Multiple Facilities in Maryland and Southern California
- NARA Notice 2021-037: Closure of NARA Operations at Rocket Center, WV, Due to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-034: Closure of NARA Facilities in Philadelphia and Denver
- NARA Notice 2021-030: Closure of NARA Facilities in Chicago, Seattle, and the Ford Museum
- NARA Notice 2021-027: Closure of Nine Facilities and Phase Two Reopening of the George H.W. Bush Library
- NARA Notice 2021-020: Updated Procedures to Respond to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-017: Phase Two Reopening of Two Additional Facilities; Closure of the Fort Worth Archives and FRC
- NARA Notice 2021-014: Additional Phase Two Reopenings
- NARA Notice 2021-009: Phase Two Reopening of the LBJ Presidential Library
- NARA Notice 2021-006: Phase Two Reopening of the National Archives Building in Washington, DC, and Limited Reopening of the Rotunda
- NARA Notice 2021-005: Phase Two Reopening of Additional Facilities; Closure of the Eisenhower Library
- NARA Notice 2020-191: Phase Two Reopening of Selected Facilities
- NARA Notice 2020-186: Phase I Reopening of the National Archives at Atlanta, the Atlanta Federal Records Center, and George W. Bush Presidential Library
- NARA Notice 2020-177: Phase I Reopening of the Jimmy Carter Library and Riverside Archives and FRC
- NARA Notice 2020-173: Updated Phased Reopening Plan
- NARA Notice 2020-170 COVID-19 Response in California, Texas, and the Hoover Library
- NARA Notice 2020-165: Phase I Reopening of the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library
- NARA Notice 2020-164: Cancellations Extended Through December 31; Additional Policies Under Review
- NARA Notice 2020-163: COVID-19 Response in Valmeyer, IL and Seattle, WA
- NARA Notice 2020-154: Phase I Reopenings of Archives I and Truman Presidential Library
- NARA Notice 2020-146: Suspension of Property Exit Inspection Stations During Phase 1 Reopening
- NARA Notice 2020-138: Additional Phase I Reopenings and Delayed Reopening of California Facilities
- NARA Notice 2020-134: Phase I Reopening of Selected Facilities
- NARA Notice 2020-133: Health Screening Procedures to Respond to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2020-132: NARA Phased Reopening Plan
- NARA Notice 2020-124: New Procedures to Respond to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2020-104: Guidelines for Eventual Reopening
For additional communications to our workforce, including NARA Notices, Fact Sheets, and Social Distancing procedures, see the list in the FOIA area.
We have adjusted our normal operations to balance the need of completing mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of our staff. As a result, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference or FOIA request or appeal. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.
Notice to Veterans
The National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals.
- If you have an urgent need for access to military service records, please fax your request to 314-801-0764. This is a dedicated line for emergencies only.
- If your request is not urgent, please consider delaying it until we are past this national emergency. We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations.
Document Reproduction and Digitization Suspended
The National Archives and Records Administration has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. We apologize for any inconvenience. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received.
COVID-19 Workplace Safety Plan
NARA’s COVID-19 Workplace Safety Plan documents our protocols to protect the safety of our staff and visitors. NARA's Workplace Safety Plan implements Executive Order 13991, Protecting the Federal Workforce and Requiring Mask-Wearing (January 20, 2021), and Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Memorandum M-21-15, COVID-19 Safe Federal Workplace: Agency Model Safety Principles (January 24, 2021).
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Coronavirus.gov — for the latest official information from the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Task Force at the White House
CDC.gov/coronavirus — for official Coronavirus (COVID-19) health information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has established landing pages with the latest information from CDC and the overarching medical community on COVID-19. The pages are currently promoting information on how it spreads, symptoms, prevention and treatment, stigma and COVID-19, what to do if you are sick, and frequently asked questions.
What the U.S. Government Is Doing
GSA has created a landing page on USA.gov for government-wide information related to COVID-19 activities.
National Archives Social Media