(Image courtesy of the Public Health Image Library, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
The National Archives is committed to the health and safety of our visitors and staff. We are closely monitoring the situation regarding COVID-19, and we are working with public health officials and our counterpart agencies to monitor and respond to the evolving conditions and following CDC guidelines. Follow the National Archives on Facebook (USNationalArchives) and on Twitter (@USNatArchives) for immediate updates.
National Archives staff will continue to serve the public remotely by responding to emailed requests for records and History Hub inquiries. While we are closed, we invite the public to explore our online resources by visiting www.archives.gov and viewing our online exhibits and educational resources and participating in our Citizen Archivist Missions. A biweekly newsletter lists many of these resources and activities.
As a public health precaution, due to COVID-19, the following changes are in effect:
All National Archives research rooms nationwide, including those at Presidential Libraries, are closed to the public until further notice.
All museums, including the National Archives Building and those at Presidential Libraries, are closed to the public until further notice.
All public events in National Archives facilities nationwide are cancelled until further notice. This includes in-person public programs, tours, school group visits, public meetings, external conferences, and facility rentals. Where possible, we will conduct public events and outreach activities online and through virtual meetings.
Notice to NARA Researchers and FOIA Requesters
Notice to Veterans
The following memoranda have been transmitted to National Archives employees and describe plans and procedures for physically closing, and when possible as local conditions permit, reopening our facilities:
- NARA Notice 2021-096: Phase One Reopening of Five NARA Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-092: Phase One Reopening of Four NARA Facilities
- NARA Notice 2021-089: Phase One Reopening of the Seattle Archives and Federal Records Center and the Gerald R. Ford Museum
- NARA Notice 2021-078: Update to NARA Policy on Face Coverings and Physical Distancing to Stop the Spread of COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-064: Closure of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library due to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-059: Closure of the Lyndon B. Johnson Library Due to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-054: Closure of the George H.W. Bush Library and San Bruno Archives and FRC
- NARA Notice 2021-047: In-Person Public Programs and Special Events at All Facilities Cancelled Until Further Notice
- NARA Notice 2021-046: Closure of the Jimmy Carter Library and Regression of the George H.W. Bush Library to Phase One
- NARA Notice 2021-039: Closure of Multiple Facilities in Maryland and Southern California
- NARA Notice 2021-037: Closure of NARA Operations at Rocket Center, WV, Due to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-034: Closure of NARA Facilities in Philadelphia and Denver
- NARA Notice 2021-030: Closure of NARA Facilities in Chicago, Seattle, and the Ford Museum
- NARA Notice 2021-027: Closure of Nine Facilities and Phase Two Reopening of the George H.W. Bush Library
- NARA Notice 2021-020: Updated Procedures to Respond to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2021-017: Phase Two Reopening of Two Additional Facilities; Closure of the Fort Worth Archives and FRC
- NARA Notice 2021-014: Additional Phase Two Reopenings
- NARA Notice 2021-009: Phase Two Reopening of the LBJ Presidential Library
- NARA Notice 2021-006: Phase Two Reopening of the National Archives Building in Washington, DC, and Limited Reopening of the Rotunda
- NARA Notice 2021-005: Phase Two Reopening of Additional Facilities; Closure of the Eisenhower Library
- NARA Notice 2020-191: Phase Two Reopening of Selected Facilities
- NARA Notice 2020-186: Phase I Reopening of the National Archives at Atlanta, the Atlanta Federal Records Center, and George W. Bush Presidential Library
- NARA Notice 2020-177: Phase I Reopening of the Jimmy Carter Library and Riverside Archives and FRC
- NARA Notice 2020-173: Updated Phased Reopening Plan
- NARA Notice 2020-170 COVID-19 Response in California, Texas, and the Hoover Library
- NARA Notice 2020-165: Phase I Reopening of the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library
- NARA Notice 2020-164: Cancellations Extended Through December 31; Additional Policies Under Review
- NARA Notice 2020-163: COVID-19 Response in Valmeyer, IL and Seattle, WA
- NARA Notice 2020-154: Phase I Reopenings of Archives I and Truman Presidential Library
- NARA Notice 2020-146: Suspension of Property Exit Inspection Stations During Phase 1 Reopening
- NARA Notice 2020-138: Additional Phase I Reopenings and Delayed Reopening of California Facilities
- NARA Notice 2020-134: Phase I Reopening of Selected Facilities
- NARA Notice 2020-133: Health Screening Procedures to Respond to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2020-132: NARA Phased Reopening Plan
- NARA Notice 2020-124: New Procedures to Respond to COVID-19
- NARA Notice 2020-104: Guidelines for Eventual Reopening
For additional communications to our workforce, including NARA Notices, Fact Sheets, and Social Distancing procedures, see the list in the FOIA area.
Suspension of Reproduction and Digitization Services
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Coronavirus.gov — for the latest official information from the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Task Force at the White House
CDC.gov/coronavirus — for official Coronavirus (COVID-19) health information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has established landing pages with the latest information from CDC and the overarching medical community on COVID-19. The pages are currently promoting information on how it spreads, symptoms, prevention and treatment, stigma and COVID-19, what to do if you are sick, and frequently asked questions.
What the U.S. Government Is Doing
GSA has created a landing page on USA.gov for government-wide information related to COVID-19 activities.