Analyze a Map
Meet the map.
- What do you see?
- Does the map have a title?
Observe its parts.
- Does the map include? Circle all that apply.
Compass Rose Legend Scale
- Are symbols or colors used in the legend? If so, what do they stand for?
- What place or places are on the map?
- What does the map show? Circle all that apply.
Mountains Rivers Lakes Oceans Cities States Countries Roads Other
Try to make sense of it.
- When was the map drawn?
- Why do you think this map was made? List two parts of the map that tell you this.
- How does it compare to a current map of the same place?
Use it as historical evidence.
- Where do you think you could find out more information about the place or places shown on the map?