Analyze an Artwork
Meet the artwork.
- What do you see?
- What type of artwork do you think it is? Circle all that apply.
Painting Drawing/Sketch Engraving/Lithograph Mural Sculpture Mixed Media Scene/Event Portrait Landscape Abstract Other
- Is there a title?
- If so, what does the title tell you?
Observe its parts.
- Circle what you see in the artwork.
People Objects Activities
- What are the people doing in the artwork?
- What are the objects used for in the artwork?
- What activities are taking place in the artwork?
- Write two words that describe the artwork.
Try to make sense of it.
- Who do you think created the artwork?
- What time period does the artwork show?
- Why do you think it was created?
- What is the main idea of the artwork? List two examples from the artwork that support the main idea.
Use it as historical evidence.
- Where do you think you could find out more information about people or activities in the artwork?
Materials created by the National Archives and Records Administration are in the public domain.