Analyze a Cartoon
Meet the cartoon.
- What do you see?
- Is the cartoon black and white or color?
- Is there a caption?
- If so, what does the caption tell you?
Observe its parts.
- Are there people, symbols, or objects in the cartoon? Circle all that apply.
People Symbols Objects
- What are the people doing in the cartoon?
- What are the objects used for in the cartoon?
- Write two words that describe the cartoon.
Try to make sense of it.
Answer as best you can. The caption, if available, may help.
- What do the symbols stand for in the cartoon?
- Who drew the cartoon?
- When do you think this cartoon was drawn?
- What is the main idea of the cartoon? List two parts (words or objects from the cartoon) that support the main idea.
Use it as historical evidence.
- Where do you think you could find out more information about the people, symbols, or objects in the cartoon?