Analyze a Written Document
Meet the document.
- Are there any special markings on the document? Circle all that apply.
Stamp Postmark Handwritten note Official seal Special letterhead Other
- Is it handwritten, typed, or both?
- Write down any words that you don’t know. Then look up the definitions.
Observe its parts.
- Who wrote this document?
- Who read or received this document?
- What is the date of the document?
Try to make sense of it.
- What is the main idea of the document?
- List two quotes (words from the document) that help support the main idea.
Use it as historical evidence.
- Where do you think you could find out more information about the persons who wrote or received this document?
- Where do you think you could find out more information about this event?