Knowledge Area Courses (Legacy Training Materials)
From 2005 -2019, NARA offered a Certificate of Federal Records Management through in-person instructor-led training. NARA ended its Certificate of Federal Records Management Training program in 2019. In 2018, NARA redirected its training focus to the virtual environment. NARA's Records Management Training program provides innovative, comprehensive, and cost-effective records management instruction to our learning community of Federal employees and contractors. Since October 1, 2018, all NARA Records Management training is free.
The Knowledge Area courses are now obsolete and have been removed from NARA’s website.
The Records Management Training Program now offers self-paced e-learning modules on a variety of records management topics. You will find a complete list of all currently available materials in our Training Materials Catalog.
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com
- Knowledge Area 1 (KA1) The Records Management Overview Course provides an overview of the purpose, concepts, and activities of managing Federal records.
- Knowledge Area 2 (KA2) The Creating and Maintaining Agency Business Information Course focused on the development and implementation of policies and procedures for adequate and proper documentation of agency business.
- Knowledge Area 3 (KA3) The Records Scheduling Course included the legal requirements and practical advantages in scheduling records, as well as the disposition practices necessary to meet an agency's business needs and NARA's recordkeeping requirements.
- Knowledge Area 4 (KA4) The Records Schedule Implementation Course provided an overview of how to apply the General Records Schedules and other NARA-approved records schedules to Federal records.
- Knowledge Area 5 (KA5) The Asset and Risk Management Course provided essential support to our agency business processes, and the strategies used to manage the risks to those records can also help us manage risks to the organization.
- Knowledge Area 6 (KA6) The Records Management Program Development Course covered the concepts and practices involved in planning and implementing a successful records management program and subsequent evaluations of it.