Naturalization is the process by which an alien becomes an American citizen. These records can provide a researcher with information such as a person's birth date and location, occupation, immigration year, marital status and spouse information, witnesses' names and addresses, and more.
Get details on naturalization records and the process. Also, you can do a search to see what naturalization microfilm is available from us and at which facility nationwide.
To search this catalog online:
- From the main Microfilm Catalog page, click Advanced Search (next to the Search button)
- In the righthand column, under Subject Terms, type in Naturalization
We do not have naturalization records available online (with the exception of a few examples in the National Archives Catalog).
Prior to 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant U.S. citizenship. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in State or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states and local courts and are available as National Archives microfilm publications. See the list of this county and state microfilm available.
For pre-1906 naturalizations:
- Contact the State Archives for the state where the naturalization occurred to request a search of state, county, and local courts records.
- Contact the NARA regional facility that serves the state where naturalization occurred to request a search of Federal court records
Naturalizations After 1906:
After 1906, the courts forwarded copies of naturalizations to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).
- Naturalizations from Federal Courts are held in the NARA's regional facilities for the Federal courts for their area.
- The National Archives in Washington, DC holds naturalization records for Federal Courts in Washington, DC.
For a General Overview and More Information
- See Naturalization Records
- Reference Reports on Citizenship and Naturalization
- Women and Naturalization, ca. 1802-1940, an article in Prologue
- " A Gold Mine of Naturalization Records in New England", by Walter V. Hickey
Specific Naturalization Records
- Federal Naturalization Records at NARA's Central Plains Region (Kansas City, MO), includes Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Dakota Territory, and South Dakota.
- Name Index to Naturalization Records from Dakota Territory and South Dakota
- Name Index to North Dakota Naturalization Records , U.S. District and U.S. Circuit Courts, District of North Dakota
- Name index to naturalization records, including declarations and petitions, U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska, McCook Division
- Name index to naturalization records, including declarations and petitions, U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska, Chadron Division
- Name index to naturalizations, 1846 - 1890, U.S. Circuit and U.S. District Courts, Eastern District of Missouri, Eastern Division (St. Louis)
- Naturalization Records of the U.S. District Courts (RG 21) at the National Archives at Chicago, includes Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin
- Naturalization Records available at the National Archives at Riverside, includes Arizona, California, and Nevada
- Naturalization Records available at the National Archives at New York City, includes New York, New Jersey, and Puerto Rico
- See the Naturalization Records of Maria von Trapp